Elections are fast approaching at the November 11th meeting at 6 PM. It’s important to have a quorum for our elections to count. So far, here are the slate of people who volunteered to continue and/or try an open position. These are all elected positions, so if you also want to run, you can nominate yourself or a friend (with their agreement). Your vote matters so be there in-person or vote by absentee ballot.
Commodore — Diana Bliss
Vice. Commodore— Mark Graas
Treasurer— Brooke Moreland
Secretary— Cliff Randall
Membership— Ellie Watson
On the Water Coordinator— Shane Brouillette
Dryland Coordinator— Neisha Atchley
Newsletter— Cindie Sandlin
Webmaster— Larry Moreland
This is our official announcement of our Annual Meeting November 11th at 6 PM for the election of officers for the 2022 sailing season. Listed below are the articles from our by-laws which describe each office position and their duties. Please take a look at this and see if you would fit into one of these positions. It’s a great way to give back to the club or, if new, to get involved with the club and meet new people. I know I’ve talked to some of the members but let me know if you are interested in any of these positions.
If you can’t make the annual meeting and would like to vote by absentee ballot, please contact me and I’ll send you one by email before the meeting. Absentee ballots are due back to me by Monday, November 8th. Any questions, please contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you at the next meeting, Thursday, November 11th at 6 PM at Cafe Del Sol, 608 Garrison St, Lakewood. Also, we will have officers’ annual reports read and recorded in the minutes, and surprise free raffle prize for attending and getting your name/number called.
Photos from Recent Sails
Andrea Lewis – Dry Land Coordinator
Holiday Party – Thursday 12/9/21
Come for a fun night to celebrate the holidays – play some games, enjoy great company, and order your own lovely food/beverages from the menu. Please bring a white elephant gift of about $15 – something fun, unusual, or simply “different”. But beware – we are on a timer and only one steal per gift.
To help us plan the evening better, please rsvp to me so we can anticipate the correct numbers.
Andrea – 303-881-7376
Recent Event –
Star Gazing – Saturday 10/16/21
Although there were only a few of us in attendance, we had a lovely (albeit chilly) night watching the stars and planets at DU Chamberlain Observatory. The volunteers were very gracious sharing their telescopes and knowledge with us. I even learnt how to download the “Night sky” app for my phone so that I can see what planets and star constellations are peering down at me at any time. Very cool!!
21 foot MacGregor sailboat for sail
Length 21 feet, swing keel. Ideal for Chatfield, when you hit bottom just roll up the keel. Sales in good condition. Motor not included. In dry storage at Chatfield.
Information on Board of Directors’ Duties
ARTICLE V – THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS & OFFICERS
The Board of Directors of the Corporation shall consist of: Commodore, Vice Commodore, Treasurer, Membership Director, On the Water Director, Dry Land Director, Newsletter Editor, Secretary, and Webmaster, of which offices except Commodore and Secretary, may be combined and held by one person. Such Directors shall hold office until their successors are elected and qualify. The Board of Directors may appoint other subordinate Officers as it deems desirable from time to time. Subordinate Officers shall serve during such terms as may be fixed by the Board, and such Officers may be terminated at any time by the Board of Directors at a duly held meeting.
The elective Board of Directors of the Corporation are:
- Commodore — President
- Vice Commodore — Vice President
- Treasurer — Financial Officer
- Membership Director — Vice President
- On the Water Director — Vice President
- Dry Land Director — Vice President
- Newsletter Editor — Vice President
- Webmaster — Vice President
Section 1.— Commodore — President
The Commodore — President, shall preside at all meetings of the members and at all meetings of the Board of Directors. The Commodore shall be generally vested with the power of the chief executive officer of the corporation as authorized by the Board of Directors, and shall have the power to do all things proper and necessary for the operation of the corporation, including the power to withdraw and remove moneys, securities and other effects from corporate accounts and deposits, with such limitations and conditions as the Articles of Incorporation, the Bylaws, the Board of Directors, and the laws of the State of Colorado may prescribe from time to time; and shall perform the following functions:
- Conduct Board meetings.
2. Conduct general meetings of the Members.
3. Enforce the Bylaws and Policies & Financial Guidelines of the Corporation.
4. Be the main speaker at the Landlubbers’ Awards Banquet.
5. Be Corporation representative to any other organizations.
6. Vote only in case of tie on all decisions affecting the operation of the Corporation.
Section 2.— Vice Commodore — Vice President
The Vice Commodore — Vice President, shall perform all the duties of the Commodore, if the Commodore is absent or for any other reason is unable to perform the duties of Commodore. The Vice Commodore shall perform other duties as the Board of Directors shall authorize or direct; and shall perform the following functions:
- Organize the Annual Meeting of the Members.
- Organize the Annual holiday party.
3. Plan the programs at the monthly meetings.
- Be a voting member of the Board of Directors.
Section 3.— Treasurer — Financial Officer
The Treasurer — Financial Officer, shall have custody of all moneys and securities of the Corporation and shall have supervision over the regular books of account. The Treasurer shall deposit all moneys, securities, and other valuable effects of the Corporation in such banks and depositories as the Board of Directors may designate and shall disburse the funds of the Corporation in payment of just debts and demands against the Corporation, or as they may be ordered by the Board of Directors, shall render such account of the transactions as may be required by the President or the Board of Directors from time to time and shall otherwise perform such duties as may be required of him by the Board of Directors; and shall perform the following functions:
- Maintain the financial ledger and the checking account for the Corporation.
- Make deposits, write, and disburse all checks.
3. Record and resolve individual sail event reconciliation reports. Use these to help event coordinators set event fees and prepare event financial reports, if necessary.
- Give monthly financial statement in writing to the Board at each monthly meeting.
- Be a voting member of the Board of Directors.
Section 4.— Membership Director — Vice President
The Membership Director — Vice President, shall have such duties as the Board of Directors shall authorize or direct, and shall perform the following functions:
- Provide a Welcome Packet to new Members.
2. Receive, and review for completion, new membership application forms and dues.
3. Keep all Members’ application forms on file and submit dues to the Treasurer.
4. Regularly update Members’ current names, boat, and contact information on the rosters, of which there should be three (3): Membership, Emergency Contacts, and Boatowners.
5. Provide a current membership rosters semi-annually to the Board of Directors.
6. Be a voting member of the Board of Directors.
Section 5.— On the Water Director — Vice President
The On the Water Director — Vice President, shall have such duties as the Board of Directors shall authorize or direct; and shall perform the following functions:
- Develop and update the Sailing Schedule for the year for publication in the newsletter.
- Secure and supervise coordinators for all on the water events for the year.
4. Provide the event coordinators with assistance and instruction packets.
3. Be a voting member of the Board of Directors
Section 6. — Dry Land Director — Vice President
The Dry Land Director — Vice President, shall have such duties as the Board of Directors shall authorize or direct; and shall perform the following functions:
- Develop and update the Dryland Schedule for the year for publication in the newsletter.
- Secure and supervise coordinators for all Dry Land Events.
3. Provide the event coordinators with assistance and instruction packets.
4. Be a voting member of the Board of Directors.
Section 7.— Newsletter Editor — Vice President
The Newsletter Editor — Vice President, shall have such duties as the Board of Directors shall authorize or direct; and shall perform the following functions:
- Publish and distribute the monthly newsletter to all Members prior to the monthly meetings.
- Distribute the membership roster to Members semi-annually, and upon Board request.
3. Be a voting member of the Board of Directors.
Section 8.— Secretary
The Secretary shall issue notices of all meetings of Members and directors, shall keep minutes of all such meetings, and shall record all proceedings. The Secretary shall have custody and control of the corporate seal, if any. The Secretary shall make such reports and perform such other duties as may be consistent with his/her office or as may be required from time to time by the Board of Directors; and shall perform the following functions:
- Record minutes of all Corporation meetings, transcribe and give to each Board member.
- Read minutes of previous meetings at next Board meeting.
3. Maintain a file of all monthly mailings and Corporation correspondence.
4. Be a voting member of the Board of Directors.
Section 9. – Webmaster — Vice President
The Webmaster — Vice President, maintains the website on at least a monthly basis to keep it current with upcoming club events, a modified version of the newsletter, membership information, club documents, and club event photographs to publicize and showcase the club for members and guests. Social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Meetup activities are also published and tracked by the Webmaster