I can’t believe it’s already Fall and the leaves are changing later this year. I just got back from Steamboat Springs and they were changing at 10,000ft and above. So, we ended our 2021 Sailing season with two great day sails in September. We were lucky enough to get our newest members out sailing before the season ended. (See September sailing article below).
Well, as our year goes on, this is not the end of activities. We still have elections of officers coming up November 11th, the Christmas party December 9th, and various Dry Land events throughout the winter months. In February, we have a Landblubbers Event where we honor funny or unusual events that happened to our members during the year. If you can think of anything from this past sailing season worth noting, please let me or someone on the board know about it.
For our October 14th member meeting, we will be meeting at the New Casa Del Sol Restaurant at 608 Garrison St, Lakewood 80215 at 6 PM. Our program will feature John Venema who will be talking about how to plan a sailing charter trip and what you should know about chartering. It should be interesting since John has had lots of experience leading charters to many different places. Hope to see you there!
This is our official announcement of our Annual Meeting November 11th at 6PM for the election of officers for the 2022 sailing season. Listed below are the articles from our by-laws which describe each office position and their duties. Please take a look at this and see if you would fit into one of these positions. It’s a great way to give back to the club or, if new, to get involved with the club and meet new people. I know I’ve talked to some of members, but let me know if you are interested in any of these positions. If you can’t make the annual meeting and would like to vote by absentee ballot, please contact me and I’ll send you one by email before the meeting. Absentee ballots are due back to me by Monday, November 8th. Any questions, please contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Next Upcoming Event – Club Meeting Oct 14th, 6:00pm at New Café Del Sol
Mark Graas – Vice Commodore
2021 Salty Dog Upcoming and Past Presentations
–John Venema October 14th “What does one need to know before captaining a chartered yacht?”
John Venema has participated in 39 bareboat charters since 1990, most of the time as first mate or captain. John has volunteered to give a presentation on what he has learned about planning, organizing, and qualifying to lease and captain a 40-to-60-foot sailing vessel on the ocean.
Andrea Lewis – Dry Land Coordinator
- Marilyn is organizing the scuba diving – please sign up with her directly. I, for one, am looking forward to doing this.
- Saturday October 16th: Star Gazing at DU Chamberlain Observatory
- We will be star gazing on the lawns in front of the Observatory through their telescopes. Please let me know if you can make it so we can ensure enough telescopes for everyone.
PARTY!! Save the date December 9th for an evening of fun, games, food, and drink.
- Plan on bringing a wrapped Xmas gift of no more than $15, your best holiday tie, earrings, hat, etc. and be ready to play team games. The restaurant is graciously allowing us to choose off the menu and pay individually. Please RSVP as soon as possible so we can get a ball park number and we allocate people into teams. 303-881-7376
Recent Sails – Recaps
Diana Bliss – Commodore
Scavenger Hunt – Saturday 9/11/21
On September 11th, we had a scavenger hunt sail where each boat got a list of items to find on their sail and get close enough to take a picture of it with their phone. Then at the end of the day coming in and showing your pictures to see how many your boat found. We had three boats and twelve people. After checking all the photos, one picture of a bird’s nest was disqualified, so two boats: Cindie S.’s and Cliff R.’s, boats tied for first place. Everyone on those boats got to pick out a Salty Dog prize! I think everyone had fun looking for the items, being competitive, and having a goal to accomplish. I think this will be on the sailing schedule for next year!
Last Sail – Saturday 9/18/21
On September 18th, we had our last sail of the season ending with a happy hour with Salty Dog drinks. We again had three boats and eight people. We had lunch on the picnic tables before we left. The weather was fairly good but really squirrely winds. Coming in at the end of the day, most people had at least one Salty Dog drink to end the sailing season.
I want to thank the boat owners who participated in these two sails— Cindie and Keith Sandlin, Bob Brand and Ronnie Wilcox, Cliff Randall (both sails), Shane B., and Brooke and Larry Moreland.
Marilyn Allen – Past Commodore/Coordinator
Try Scuba Diving A-1 Scuba– Tuesday 10/5/21 6pm-8pm (Alternate date 10/18/21 6:30pm-8:30pm)
Minimal swimming skills required. You know you’ve wanted to try it! The instructors at A-1 Scuba will make it easy and comfortable. You’ll learn how to clear your ears to descend pain-free, how to clear that leaky mask (handy snorkel skill too), then play around in their roomy heated pool designed for dive instruction. They furnish all the equipment and you’ll have professional scuba instructors helping you. If you love it, you can sign up for a dive at the Denver Aquarium in the Under the Sea tank (additional cost). You’ll see more beautiful tropical fish than you could ever imagine. A-1 tells me its best to have at least some minimal scuba skills prior to diving in the Aquarium tank, since there’s so much there to take in.
Date for Try Scuba is Oct 5, 6-8 pm at A-1 Scuba, 1603 W Belleview, Littleton. We can do an
alternate date of 10/18, 6:30-8:30 PM if that first date really doesn’t work for folks. If we get at least
six, cost is $285 to rent the whole pool, divided among participants. 3-4 people would be $85 each.
Guests and friends over age of 12 are welcome. To sign up, email Marilyn at email@example.com
and indicate your preference of dates. Once we get the exact cost, a deposit will be required. No more
than eight participants so sign up now!
21 foot MacGregor sailboat for sail
Length 22 feet, swing keel. Ideal for Chatfield, when you hit bottom just roll up the keel. Sales in good condition. Motor not included. In dry storage at Chatfield.
Information on Board of Directors’ Duties
ARTICLE V – THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS & OFFICERS
The Board of Directors of the Corporation shall consist of: Commodore, Vice Commodore, Treasurer, Membership Director, On the Water Director, Dry Land Director, Newsletter Editor, Secretary, and Webmaster, of which offices except Commodore and Secretary, may be combined and held by one person. Such Directors shall hold office until their successors are elected and qualify. The Board of Directors may appoint other subordinate Officers as it deems desirable from time to time. Subordinate Officers shall serve during such terms as may be fixed by the Board, and such Officers may be terminated at any time by the Board of Directors at a duly held meeting.
The elective Board of Directors of the Corporation are:
- Commodore — President
- Vice Commodore — Vice President
- Treasurer — Financial Officer
- Membership Director — Vice President
- On the Water Director — Vice President
- Dry Land Director — Vice President
- Newsletter Editor — Vice President
- Webmaster — Vice President
Section 1.— Commodore — President
The Commodore — President, shall preside at all meetings of the members and at all meetings of the Board of Directors. The Commodore shall be generally vested with the power of the chief executive officer of the corporation as authorized by the Board of Directors, and shall have the power to do all things proper and necessary for the operation of the corporation, including the power to withdraw and remove moneys, securities and other effects from corporate accounts and deposits, with such limitations and conditions as the Articles of Incorporation, the Bylaws, the Board of Directors, and the laws of the State of Colorado may prescribe from time to time; and shall perform the following functions:
- Conduct Board meetings.
2. Conduct general meetings of the Members.
3. Enforce the Bylaws and Policies & Financial Guidelines of the Corporation.
4. Be the main speaker at the Landlubbers’ Awards Banquet.
5. Be Corporation representative to any other organizations.
6. Vote only in case of tie on all decisions affecting the operation of the Corporation.
Section 2.— Vice Commodore — Vice President
The Vice Commodore — Vice President, shall perform all the duties of the Commodore, if the Commodore is absent or for any other reason is unable to perform the duties of Commodore. The Vice Commodore shall perform other duties as the Board of Directors shall authorize or direct; and shall perform the following functions:
- Organize the Annual Meeting of the Members.
- Organize the Annual holiday party.
3. Plan the programs at the monthly meetings.
- Be a voting member of the Board of Directors.
Section 3.— Treasurer — Financial Officer
The Treasurer — Financial Officer, shall have custody of all moneys and securities of the Corporation and shall have supervision over the regular books of account. The Treasurer shall deposit all moneys, securities, and other valuable effects of the Corporation in such banks and depositories as the Board of Directors may designate and shall disburse the funds of the Corporation in payment of just debts and demands against the Corporation, or as they may be ordered by the Board of Directors, shall render such account of the transactions as may be required by the President or the Board of Directors from time to time and shall otherwise perform such duties as may be required of him by the Board of Directors; and shall perform the following functions:
- Maintain the financial ledger and the checking account for the Corporation.
- Make deposits, write, and disburse all checks.
3. Record and resolve individual sail event reconciliation reports. Use these to help event coordinators set event fees and prepare event financial reports, if necessary.
- Give monthly financial statement in writing to the Board at each monthly meeting.
- Be a voting member of the Board of Directors.
Section 4.— Membership Director — Vice President
The Membership Director — Vice President, shall have such duties as the Board of Directors shall authorize or direct, and shall perform the following functions:
- Provide a Welcome Packet to new Members.
2. Receive, and review for completion, new membership application forms and dues.
3. Keep all Members’ application forms on file and submit dues to the Treasurer.
4. Regularly update Members’ current names, boat, and contact information on the rosters, of which there should be three (3): Membership, Emergency Contacts, and Boatowners.
5. Provide a current membership rosters semi-annually to the Board of Directors.
6. Be a voting member of the Board of Directors.
Section 5.— On the Water Director — Vice President
The On the Water Director — Vice President, shall have such duties as the Board of Directors shall authorize or direct; and shall perform the following functions:
- Develop and update the Sailing Schedule for the year for publication in the newsletter.
- Secure and supervise coordinators for all on the water events for the year.
4. Provide the event coordinators with assistance and instruction packets.
3. Be a voting member of the Board of Directors
Section 6. — Dry Land Director — Vice President
The Dry Land Director — Vice President, shall have such duties as the Board of Directors shall authorize or direct; and shall perform the following functions:
- Develop and update the Dryland Schedule for the year for publication in the newsletter.
- Secure and supervise coordinators for all Dry Land Events.
3. Provide the event coordinators with assistance and instruction packets.
4. Be a voting member of the Board of Directors.
Section 7.— Newsletter Editor — Vice President
The Newsletter Editor — Vice President, shall have such duties as the Board of Directors shall authorize or direct; and shall perform the following functions:
- Publish and distribute the monthly newsletter to all Members prior to the monthly meetings.
- Distribute the membership roster to Members semi-annually, and upon Board request.
3. Be a voting member of the Board of Directors.
Section 8.— Secretary
The Secretary shall issue notices of all meetings of Members and directors, shall keep minutes of all such meetings, and shall record all proceedings. The Secretary shall have custody and control of the corporate seal, if any. The Secretary shall make such reports and perform such other duties as may be consistent with his/her office or as may be required from time to time by the Board of Directors; and shall perform the following functions:
- Record minutes of all Corporation meetings, transcribe and give to each Board member.
- Read minutes of previous meetings at next Board meeting.
3. Maintain a file of all monthly mailings and Corporation correspondence.
4. Be a voting member of the Board of Directors.
Section 9. – Webmaster — Vice President
The Webmaster — Vice President, maintains the website on at least a monthly basis to keep it current with upcoming club events, a modified version of the newsletter, membership information, club documents, and club event photographs to publicize and showcase the club for members and guests. Social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Meetup activities are also published and tracked by the Webmaster